1. A dance sangha with weekly gatherings
What does this mean, practically?
- opening circles and other structures which invite depth of connection
- we plan to invite people who are already drawn to community
- we’ll focus on a two-month membership commitment
- we value quality of connections rather than quantity; 30 friends is better than 100 strangers
- we hope to grow through members inviting their friends to a free first lesson and dance
2. An appropriate venue
Boulder Integral Center is a beautiful, energetically safe space.
This is important for a dance that thrives on introspection, emotion and intimacy.
The curtains, nice furniture, altars, meditation mats and zafus, decorations… everything fits nicely.
We would use the Middle Room for classes and either the Middle Room or Meditation Room for dancing.
3. Intentional, progressive classes
This dance sangha will be an expression of Mihai’s unique way of teaching (ecstatic blues) dance.
It’s a place for people who share these values to meet and build community together.
Consequently, the classes will be an integral, almost central part of the experience.
The focus will be on self-discovery, connection and practical creativity.
4. An eclectic musical journey
Mihai plans to DJ a solid mix of…
- real blues (John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Memphis Slim) for clear, solid, earthy rhythm.
- soul/jazz (Etta James, Nina Simone, Sidney Bechet) for more complexity, melodies and variety in instruments.
- bluesy pop (John Mayer, Portishead, Alicia Keys) for familiarity and fun.
Unlike most social blues/swing dances, a specific musical path will be traced.
Just like Rhythm Sanctuary, we will start with energetic, faster music and slow it down, with a climax and resolution.